Our team of expert housing disrepair lawyers can help you if you want advice or representation in connection with any aspect of housing disrepair claims.

Get confidential legal advice

From our friendly housing disrepair law team

At Canter Levin and Berg, our Housing Disrepair solicitors have a wealth of experience acting for tenants, to ensure that their landlord carry out necessary repair works to their property and to compensate the tenant for the distress and inconvenience of living in unacceptable living conditions.

Who has the right to bring a claim?

As a tenant in a rented property, you have the right to live in a safe and healthy home. This means that your landlord has a legal duty to ensure that your rented property is in good repair.

Landlords have a duty to make sure that, from the outset of the tenancy agreement the property is in good repair.  This duty continues throughout the tenancy to ensure that the property remains fully habitable.

As of March 2020, statistics showed that one in seven council homes do not meet the national standard and yet they were still being offered to prospective tenants. It has also been suggested that 48% of tenants feel ignored by their landlord about their housing disrepair issues.

If you have found yourself in a position where you consider your property to be in a state of disrepair, then you could have a possible claim against your landlord.

What is disrepair?

There are various forms of disrepair, including but not limited to:

  • Damp
  • Mould
  • Cracks
  • Structural Damage
  • Leaks
  • Flooding
  • Poor ventilation
  • Defective Boilers
  • Defective Windows
  • Dangerous Electrics
  • Defective gutters
  • Drainage Issues;
  • Subsidence
  • Infestations

What are the requirements to bring a claim?

In order to act on your behalf, there are certain requirements which we need to consider, including:

  • The disrepair, which your landlord is legally obliged to rectify must be present.
  • The disrepair must have been reported to your landlord. Reporting can take various forms including but not limited to letters, e-mails and telephone calls.
  • The disrepair must not be caused by you. If the tenant has caused the damage, then this is not something that the landlord is responsible for.
  • The landlord must have failed to carry out adequate repairs.

What can you claim for?

There are various elements to a housing disrepair claim.

  • You can claim for works to be carried out to your property; and
  • In addition, you can claim for compensation. There are different elements of compensation, including:
  • Compensation for the distress and inconvenience for the time that you have lived with the disrepair;
  • Compensation for the cost of belongings which have been damaged and/or require replacement as a result of the disrepair.
  • Compensation for Personal injury in the event that the disrepair within the property has caused, or exacerbated a health condition.

Costs of bringing a Housing Disrepair Claim

We offer to deal with your claim on a ‘Conditional Fee Agreement’, also known as a “No win, No fee” arrangement. This means that if you lose your case, you will not have to pay our fees.  If you win your case, your landlord will generally pay your legal costs.

In the event that your claim is successful, then we would deduct a contribution towards our legal fees, known as a “Success Fee”.  We have capped our Success Fee at 25% of the compensation which you receive.

An insurance policy may be incepted at the outset of your claim, to protect you from having to pay your landlord’s costs in the event that your claim is unsuccessful. The recovery of this Insurance premium will be discussed with you at the outset of your claim.

How can we help you?

If you feel that you are being ignored by your landlord in relation to disrepair which you have reported, then we will be happy to consider your claim.

Pursuing a housing disrepair claim can be a stressful process and it is for that reason that we have experienced solicitors to deal with your claim and guide you through each step of the way to make the process as stress free as possible.  Our team will also act in your best interests, to ensure that the best result is achieved for you.

Contact us now

We are here to provide you with practical and straightforward help. Call us on 0151 239 1000 or complete the enquiry form at the top of this page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.


Claire Jansz

Housing Disrepair Solicitor

0151 239 1094